Frequently Asked Questions

 How can I keep my waste disposal cost low?

  1. Recycle more and generate less trash. You will need to buy   fewer bags. Recycling is free!
  2. For bulky items like furniture and tires, make arrangements with the retailer to take away the old item.
  3. Compost your food waste. It is a large percentage of the waste stream by weight. 
  4. Buy products with minimal packaging and buy in bulk when possible.
  5. Eliminate trips to the Pownal Center roll-offs. Recyclables are now collected curbside!

 What are the savings to Pownal with this new system?

  1. We reduce the fees associated with Solid Waste Disposal.
  2. We generate more recyclables, which can be sold to benefit ecomaine, of which we are a member.
  3. The more we recycle, the more the Town of Pownal saves.

 What about returnable bottles?

  1. Pownal’s Fire Company has a separate building outside of Mallett Hall for the donation of returnable cans and bottles. The money generated from these donations is used primarily to support the Fire and Rescue Department.
  2. What do I do with bulky items that will not fit in a PAYT bag?
  3. The Freeport Transfer Station and Recycling Facility is available for use by all Pownal residents. The facility is located on Hedgehog Mountain Road off of Pownal Road and is open Wednesday through Friday from 8:00 - 4:00 and Saturday from 9:00 - 4:00. General use of the facility requires the purchase of an annual vehicle sticker, available from the staff. Waste such as universal wastes (see below), drywall, asphalt shingles, metals, large furniture, air conditioners and dehumidifiers, gasoline and oil, automotive batteries, automobile and truck tires, brush and other yard wastes, demo-wood, etc. may be disposed of there. In addition to the sticker fee, there are smaller fees associated with disposal of most items. For specific fees and information, call the Freeport Recycling Facility at 207-865-3740 or visit their website.
  4. The Riverside Recycling Center in Portland accepts the   same items as Freeport, with no annual fee.  Call 797-6200 or check their website for disposal prices.
  5. Metal items can be saved for disposal during Pownal Pride Days in the spring. The collected metal is sold and the profits are used to reduce the budget for solid waste and recycling in Pownal.

What are Hazardous Wastes?

Anything that is ignitable, corrosive, reactive, or toxic is considered hazardous waste. Do not put these in your trash.

Non-Universal Hazardous Wastes - include pesticides and fertilizers, varnishes and polishes, oil based paints, resins, automotive fuels and fluids, pool chemicals, household and bathroom cleaners, etc.  

Dispose of these at: 

  1. The Environmental Depot, which is located at the Lewiston Solid Waste Facility.  Call 786-7300 for disposal days and fees or visit their website.
  2. Riverside Recycling Center. Call for disposal days and fees 797-6200
  3. Clean Harbors on 17 Main Street in South Portland is open year-round 9:00 -3:00 Monday through Friday. Clean Harbors is also available to collect hazardous waste from residences. 799-8111.

Universal Hazardous Wastes - include wastes that are contained within a product, such as the mercury contained within compact fluorescent light bulbs and thermostats, the nickel contained in certain batteries, etc. Electronic wastes (also known as E-wastes) such as laptop computers, portable DVD players, computer monitors, and televisions are also considered universal waste. 

Dispose of these at: 

  1. Freeport Transfer Station and Recycling Facility. No sticker is required for disposal of universal wastes, but per item, fees may apply.
  2. Riverside Recycling Center in Portland 

Kitchen scraps, kitty litter, brush?

Kitchen scraps, garden waste, leaves, grass clippings, wood ash, etc., may be composted in your back yard. Animal wastes, including kitty litter, may also be composted or buried in your yard (well away from your well). It is generally recommended that pet wastes not be composted within your garden compost pile if that compost is to be used around food crops and unless your compost reaches very high temperatures. Brush and leaves may be burned with a permit obtainable during regular business hours from Town Hall, or on Saturdays from 9-11 at the Fire Department’s Center Station on Elmwood Road.

I pick up roadside trash when I am out walking. What do I do with it?

Thank you for keeping Pownal beautiful!  We think you will find that 98% of what you collect is recyclable.  In addition, the Fire Department will appreciate the returnables.